His cord fell off today! I can't tell if it's going to be in or out, but I can tell that he's going to have a darling little belly button. When it first came off it looked a little...juicy...[ew] but after a quick call to his pediatrician I am confident it'll be just fine.
I love getting to know little Everett's personality. [It's still weird to call him Everett - I was so used to just calling him "Baby".] I'm learning more and more about his likes and dislikes, and I love every one of them.
Some of his dislikes that I've noticed [so far] are:
- Being wet. He hates being wet. Once he soaks his diaper he lets me know! Unless he's asleep, of course, but then he makes up for it by being extra mad when he wakes up. And when we do the diaper wrong and he leaks onto his onesie, we had better act fast else all hell will break loose! I love this about him because it makes me feel like he'll be easier to potty train. [Wishful thinking, I know.]
- The dark. You'd think for a kid who just spent 9 months not able to see anything, he'd be able to handle it when I turn off the light. Nope - we get to have a night-light and we have to keep the hall light on. It comes in handy when I need to change him [which I do from my spot in my bed] but it does make it a little more difficult for Clinton and me to fall asleep.
- Being woken up. He will scrunch his face until he looks just like a grumpy old man.
- When I have to eat. Honestly, it's like he knows when I am eating and he will start fussing until I pick him up. Often he won't want Dad, just me, and he won't let me eat while holding him.
- When the floor creaks. For some reason it grates on his nerves and he lets us know.
Some of the things he likes are:
- Being naked. With a diaper on, of course. I think he likes the feel of his little swaddling blankies that my coworker gave us as a gift [hooray for baby showers!]. They're soft and breathable. I'd use 'em for myself if they were big enough!
- Being swaddled. But we have to make sure his arms are out so he can wave them around when he feels like it. At first we could get away with pinning his arms to either side of his head, but now he'll squirm until his arms are free and lying at his sides.
- Stretching. He does this cute stretch when he wakes up from a nap and it looks like a little ballerina pose! He'll stretch one arm over his head and arch his back and stretch one leg out as far as it will go. It makes me giggle at how cute he is.
- When I laugh at him. I know he's paying attention and he likes the sound.
- Foot massages. He loves his feet to be rubbed as much as me! When he's fussy I'll unwrap his blanket and rub on his feet until he quiets down.
- When Clinton reads to him. Right now Clinton is in the middle of reading The Princess of Mars, which is what the movie John Carter was basted on. Sometimes in the evening Clinton will hold Everett and read out loud. It's adorable father-son bonding time.
These are just the few that I can remember right now. It's so fun being a parent and watching my son grow up. He changes every day and as much as it breaks my heart to see him grow up so fast, I love seeing the changes. It's so cool that he's a person, with thoughts and feelings and emotions. It's so weird that we made that. So amazing that our bodies have this power to create life. I understand even more now why we're counseled to be so careful with that power, because it's as close to being like Heavenly Father as we can get in this life. It's so wonderful and I am in awe every single day!
No comments:
Post a Comment