Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Helmet

At E's 2 month appointment we noticed his head was a little flatter on one side from how he was laying. The pediatrician suggested we lay him the other way to try to balance it out, but it didn't work. He will have to wear a helmet to help shape his head back to a nice round shape.
Yesterday we went in so the doctor could make a plaster mold of his head. E screamed the whole time! The doctor first put a sort of bib on him that would cover E's chest and back. Then he put a hat on E that covered his head and ears. Then they started the casting. They dipped pieces of plaster cast stuff in water and started molding it on E's head. I've never seen him so sad! He started with a mad, "Get this off me!" cry, and then when he realized that we weren't stopping he transitioned to a "You hate me!" sob. I felt so terrible! I had to hold him and pin his arms down the whole time. Luckily my mom was there to console me while I consoled E [C wasn't able to get work off].
The whole experience lasted all of 15 minutes from the time we walked into the office to the time we left, but it felt like hours. He whimpered the entire way home. C was home for lunch, and when E saw him he buried his face into my chest and started crying again. I think it was because he was so happy to see his daddy. It broke my heart!
Now we get to wait 2 weeks for them to make the helmet, and then we will have appointments about every 3 weeks to make sure it's doing what it's supposed to do. Hopefully it will all be fixed in 3-4 months.
I look like I'm texting or something, but I'm actually trying to console him. Look at that sad face!

1 comment:

  1. This is the saddest picture I've ever seen. I'm sorry it was such a traumatic experience for both of you!

    ReplyDelete