Friday, October 18, 2013

I'm the Mom, and I Got This

I get it all the time. Well-meaning friends and family members and strangers tell me everything I'm doing wrong and how to make it right. 

"You need to make your baby take a bottle so that your husband can feed him, or else your baby will never bond with his daddy."
"You need to let other people babysit your baby so that he doesn't have separation anxiety."
"Don't you need a break? Let me watch him."
"He cries when I hold him. You need to let other people hold your baby more often or he will always just cry for you."
"You need to stop nursing when your baby hits his first birthday."
"You need to sleep train him (AKA "cry-it-out") or else he will never learn to sleep through the night."
"You should be able to spend a night away from him by now."
"Shouldn't you be feeding him more solid foods?"
"You need to make sure he's vaccinated."
"Why don't you put socks on that baby?" (Said in the middle of July on a scorching summer day.)
"He can have ice cream because I'm his [insert relation here] and I say he can."
"You can't take him out of a large, loud crowd just because it makes him uncomfortable. You really need to break him of that."

And more. Lots more.

And I politely smile and thank them for their advice. But all I really want to do is yell, "I'M THE MOM AND I GOT THIS."

I don't need to make excuses for my parenting. E is healthy and happy and developing and thriving. My husband and I are doing a great job, and it's obvious when you look at our baby that there is nothing to worry about. I appreciate that people care and want to share their advice and experience, but honestly if I really want advice I can call my mom. Or google it. I don't want to hear biased and skewed and misinformed opinions on how they think babies should be raised. 

That's all. 

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could like this a million times. People need to stop trying to mother other peoples children. I get so much flack for still nursing Joshua at 18 months. He still wakes up every 3-4 hours but I'm not about to let him cry it out.I can't leave him with anyone or he has major melt downs. When he's ready for all these things to change he'll let me know. I'm okay with moving at his pace.

    Its obvious that you are a great mom, keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. People need to realize that every baby has different needs and you are well aware of what needs little E has. You do such a great job!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete