The other day my visiting teacher asked me what the hardest thing was about being a mom. Easy: having to wake up 4 or more times a night to nurse E {when I know he's not really hungry - just wants the comfort}. She then asked what my favorite thing was about being a mom. That one was tougher... What is my favorite thing about being E's mom? I had to think about it for a few minutes and really didn't give her an answer. I thought about it all weekend and still can't pin down one favorite. There are so many different aspects of motherhood that I love, and so many things about E that make each day extra special.
As difficult as it is to have to wake up so often at night, I really do love it. E isn't very snuggly during the day {he pretends he is - he crawls up to me and for 2 seconds will lay on me and say, "Awwww," and then take off to play again} and I love that quiet time with him curled up on my lap. We've tried having C go to E when he cries, but E just wants me. I love that. That's my favorite thing - knowing he really does want Mommy.
I love teaching E new tricks. {That makes him sound like a dog.} He loves when we sit down and learn how to clap, rub noses, or turn the pages of his book. I love that he listens to me and I love seeing it click when he figures it out. That's my favorite thing.
I love when he wakes up from his nap and jumps around his crib when he sees me. He giggles and smiles and claps because he is so excited to play. That's my favorite thing.
E absolutely adores his daddy. When C comes home E will scramble as fast as he can to see him and smile his biggest grin when C says, "It's Daddy!!" E loves to play with and crawl on C and they are the best of friends. I'll even catch E whispering "Da-da...da-da" while he's playing by himself. C is such a wonderful father and always takes such good care of E. Seeing how much they love each other is my favorite thing.
I love watching E experience new things. The world is so brand-new and everything is an adventure. Swings, animals, lemons...everything is so cool and exciting and he wants more! That's my favorite.
These are just the few things off the top of my head. I love everything about being a mother. It's the best choice I've ever made, and I love it more and more every day. My favorite thing about being a mom is just being E's mom. Everything about it. The whole thing. The good and the bad. The whole messy, crazy, sleep-deprived, chaotic, incredible, wonderful, amazing experience.
This is such a sweet post. Being a mom really is the best thing to be. It's so fun to watch them experience new things and see things from their point of view. I'm also glad to know I'm not that only one who wakes up countless times to nurse for comfort, the extra cuddles definitely make up for the lost sleep.
ReplyDeleteI love this post, Bonnie! It makes me even more excited to be a mom in a few weeks. :)
ReplyDelete